Parents / Departments / Drama
Course Title: GCSE Drama
Examination Board: Edexcel
Entry Requirements (if appropriate): not applicable.
Contact: Mr J MacIntyre, Miss R Murray
Specification Code: 8261
Exam board website:
Pupils will be encouraged to develop:
- a clear understanding of how plays are constructed and realised
- an informed knowledge and understanding of the acting of performances, the skills involved and of the technical and design elements of production
- knowledge and understanding of the social, historical and cultural context of the live theatre production
- the ability to analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of the skills presented
- the ability to analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of the production as a whole.
The course consists of 3 components of study:
Component 1: Understanding drama (practical and written examination) – Students study one set play from a choice of six (Blood Brothers) and evaluate a live theatre performance. Usually, we visit the Theatre Royal, Newcastle for this. This component will be assessed via a 1hour and 45 minutes written exam.
Component 2: Devising drama (practical) - Based on stimulus chosen by the class teacher, students are to create and perform a devised piece, and they may contribute as a performer or as a designer. This will be assessed by their class teacher and moderated by the exam board.
Component 3: Texts in practice (practical) – Performance of two extracts from one play, and they may contribute as a performer or as a designer. This will be assessed by the exam board.
How will I learn:
The course allows students to develop skills in a number of areas. The study of play scripts allows students to understand plot and character as well as consider dramatic techniques. Strategies such as cross-cutting, narration, thought tracking and hot seating can be used to develop students' understanding. In the study of the Drama medium, students will learn technical skills in lighting, costume and make up as well as using a range of props and sets to build an effective set. There are also opportunities to see plays and performances.