Parents / Departments / Mathematics
Click below for relevent information on our Mathematics Department:
KS3 - KS4
Course Title: GCSE Mathematics
Examination Board: EDEXCEL
Entry Requirements (if appropriate): Not Applicable
Contact: Mrs S Baxter
• To develop the confidence to use mathematics to tackle problems in the work place and everyday life;
• To develop an ability to think and reason mathematically;
• To realise the application of mathematics in the world around us;
• To develop a firm foundation for appropriate further study.
The course will cover the following content headings:
3 Ratio, proportion and rates of change
4 Geometry and measures
How will I learn:
Candidates learn through a range of activities, both practical and theoretical, which cover the whole content of the course. These activities help to develop an understanding of mathematics and give an opportunity for candidates to demonstrate their ability to use and apply mathematics.
The qualification is assessed through examination and two tiers are available; Foundation and Higher (content is defined for each tier):
- The qualification consists of three equally-weighted written examination papers at either Foundation tier or Higher tier.
- > All three papers must be at the same tier of entry and must be completed in the same assessment series.
- > Paper 1 is a non-calculator assessment and a calculator is allowed for Paper 2 and Paper 3.
- > Each paper is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.
- > Each paper has 80 marks.
- > Foundation tier: grades 1 to 5.
- > Higher tier: grades 4 to 9
Possible Career Pathways:
Candidates gain skills that are useful in further study and in jobs in many different areas. In the world of work, the importance of mathematics is growing daily. It is key to science and engineering, and is indispensable to the commercial world. Besides these obvious applications, there is also a growing use of mathematics in areas such as history and geography, particularly in the form of statistical analysis.